Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Editing your photos



Many people have told me that I am a very good photographer. I will say to you that although I am pretty good, the key, sometimes anyway is in how you crop the photo, and I am getting much better at that. I use two different packages for this, one is free on the web, and the other is a program which I paid for, Adobe Photoshop Elements. Each application is different, for the less experienced editor, Picasa 3 is a free service offered by Google.

Some people will want to know why I would share this information, the reason is simple, I LOVE PHOTOGRAPHY, and I love to see others work as well. In most cases there is no such thing as a bad picture, because, unless the camera failed altogether, the picture is what you made it to be. The camera setting are what help you make the picture what it is, if the photo is wrong or not what you intended than you, as the operator did something incorrect. I do that all of the time, but, in order to get better, you must practice and get to know your cameras limitations.

Attached are two photos, basically of the same thing, neither is right or wrong, just edited differently....

That is all for right now, I hope you enjoy these photos.

Remember,

"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish
the rest."

Mark Twain


I am following up on this because a friend of mine, Laura, asked me which picture I preferred. The real question should have been do you have a preference, and if so, why?

My preference is the close up. The reason is because if you look at it closely enough, it almost looks as if you can see individual ice crystals, since the picture was in focus, can I pull that off every time, probably not, but, like everything, practice makes perfect... I believe if you work hard enough at anything you want, you will get better at it. I still need to take a class or two, to perfect it further, and I will be doing that in the very near future.

No comments: