Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Fireworks, Chicagoland Staycation and a little beyond...



Good morning!  For those of you who read my blog, I thank you!  This may be my longest post on record, so, if you just want to browse the photos, I will understand, but, if you want to get to know me better through my photos, please read on!  For those of you who have read my posts before you know that I live in the suburbs of Chicago.  I work for a small little retailer who I am sure at least some of you have heard of, Costco Wholesale.  Since we can not take vacation around the Holidays, I almost always take the week of the 4th of July off.  I am a Navy Veteran, and to me, nothing screams Patriot and pride in country than taking off the week of the 4th to see FIREWORKS!  This year was a little different because my wife was working for a good portion of the week and then went to Michigan for the weekend.  Since we have a 17 year old daughter who only wants to stay and be with her friends, I took on that roll...so to speak, Ha-Ha.  I was almost never home.  

Do you watch American Picker's?  LeClaire, Iowa is a little over two hours from Chicago and I have wanted to see Antique Archeology for some time.  I made to drive down only to have the power out in the buildings so the original building wasn't even available to look in other than from outside.  The whole thing seemed more like a shop to buy and sell swag rather than display their finds.  Kind of disappointing to say the least, but, I can say I did it!  They must have a warehouse where they keep most of their items.  They did have things there that were NSF (Not for sale), their best finds, which were very cool, things like the Indian motorcycle which they dug out of the ground!






 A couple of mornings I drove my wife to work rather than have her drive to the train station, park the car and take the train.  One morning after doing so, I drove Lakeshore Drive in Chicago all the way down to Rainbow Beach.  I made a few stops along the way, and this was one of my favorite shots of the day, simple shot, but, hey, I am a simple man who knows what I like!


 On the third of July, almost every year, I go to see the fireworks in Oakbrook, IL. because it is always a great show.  This year they were cancelled.  If you live in the Chicago area, you know how much rain we have had, and there was some flooding and the grounds where people stand and sit to watch the fireworks was to wet, bummer!  I was disappointed to say the least.  Someone suggested Hawthorne Woods, so that is where I ended up on the third.  To me, this first shot I took looks like a bird in flight changing directions mid-air. 
 The one below, again, to me, looks a little like a spider with its web hanging down.

Since less is more, sometimes, my last one from the third is what I think looks a little like a heart, what do you think?

 The annual 4th of July Parade in Arlington Heights, what can I say, I am a sucker for a parade!  The first photo is of Lily and friends, enjoying a donut or two as the parade is starting.
 Below is a shot of John Thompson and his daughter Jennifer.  Jennifer and Lily went to grade school together, and John is a friend!
 As we grow older sometimes friends, even really good friends move away from the area where they grew up and where you first met them.  My good friend Dave Howley, his wife Ruby and their daughter Sabrina now live in the Houston area.  Dave tries to come back home once or twice a year, and I always try to get together with them when they are home.  This year Dave invited me to a friends party, and while were were never great friends, I always regarded Pat Guest as a really good guy.  Pat and his wife Laura throw a great party, and I can not thank them enough for allowing me to tag along with Dave, Ruby and Sabrina!  Believe it or not, the next four photos were from fireworks which they set off in front of their home...no harm no foul!



 In Lisle, IL every year they have the Eyes to the Skies Balloon Festival around the week of the 4th of July.  I have never gone until this year, now I think it will be and annual event for me to attend, and next year I plan on trying to go up in one for more scenic views!

These photos were all taken between 5:30 and 7:15 a.m. on July 5, 2019.





 Probably my favorite thing while seeing these balloons was when they were filling them...the flames were real, and while they were really hot, I believe the shots are really cool, what do you think?
 On the July 5th this year Arlington Heights had their fireworks display at Arlington International Racetrack.  Below are my favorites from our hometown display.
 Fireworks are even neater when you manipulate the camera with the shutter open, like the shot below!




Sunrises and sunsets are a favorite of mine.  Little did I know, until this week, that there is a good spot near me to view the sunset.  Buffalo Creek in Long Grove, IL. is a great spot where I will continue to go back to...



 On the morning of the 6th of July I decided to go try and catch the sunrise off Navy Pier in Chicago. 
 God had different plans as it was totally overcast, although I did manage a few cool shots!
 July 9, 2019, my buddy Dave and his family were going to the Brookfield Zoo, and asked if I wanted to tag along.  I thought it appropriate, since it is Wednesday (HUMP DAY), for my first few photos to be of camels...

 Giraffes are always intriguing, and they photograph well.

 One of my favorite shots of the day is the one below of Dave and his daughter feeding a giraffe.
 My last few shots reflect on how I feel as my staycation/vacation comes to an end, especially the last photo.  I feel a little lethargic and bummed, such is life, all good things must, eventually come to an end! 
 As always, all photos are solely owned and all rights reserved by mwnphotography and me, Michael W. Noonan.  That being said, all my photos are for sale, if you like something enough to want a print, please do not hesitate to reach out to me!  I can be reached via email at mwnphotography@gmail.com, or by phone at 867.636.9130!
Thanks for looking, any comments, suggestions or constructive criticisms welcome. 

                                               KEEP CLICKING THAT SHUTTER!!!

No comments: